My Visitors

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Culminating Part 1: Japan Mural

During this past semester our class has been collaborating with another art class in Japan using "Art Miles". Both classes will be painting a mural with the shared theme legacy and sharing things about one another's culture. Japan painted their portion of the mural first. They interpreted the word "legacy" as what their countries legacies are. Most components of their painting were based on traditional figures, or culture in Japan. With this in mind I thought our half should reflect the same; traditional Canadian culture/figures.
In the preliminary stages of my brain storming I began thinking of things which come to mind when any Canadian, or person in general, might think of when they hear the word Canada. My first thoughts were stereotypes such as: cold winters, hockey, maple syrup, etc. Then I thought of the cultural stand point of a Canadian, such as: first nations, Canadian Mounties, parliament, and beautiful nature. I really wanted to include things that were mostly relative to Canadians and easily recognizable. This ruled out a series of ideas for me such as including figure which have been prominent in Canadian history for example: Sir Wilfred Laurier, John A. McDonald, Dr. Fredrick Banting, etc.
I then decided I wanted the design to be almost a reflection of the other side except Canadian. I thought each component should be related on each side. For example, instead of two women in kimonas have two significant Canadians such as first nations, Canadian Mounties, Wayne Gretzky, or any influential Canadian. Instead on the cherry blossom trees have a maple tree, instead of the mountain they included the rocky mountains, or because they had an ocean a lake. The possibilities were endless.
Next, I brainstormed with fellow classmates. More good ideas were shared such as: a totem pole, tee-pee, sleep giant mountains, ice-fishing, and a hockey game. The more I brainstormed with my peers the more questions would arise, for example: what season should it be? Fall or Winter? Should it be based on one Canadian culture? Who should the two people be? What style and colours should be used?
Our class struggled with these main ideas. The largest was season; most of the class agreed that it should be winter or fall. If it were winter we could include: ice hockey, snow-machining, and ice-fishing. However, with fall there came more vibrant colours in the leafs, water, and overall nature. In the end there was a class vote and Fall was decided upon.
The other two questions were come to a decision by the class each four possible designs we would like the mural to have. In one, a fellow student had two hikers. Everyone seemed to enjoy this idea. The class also decided to have some features that would reflect first nations culture such as a bird in the style of Norval Morrisseau, instead of the entire mural being based on First Nations culture. I agree with this decision because Canada is known as a multi-cultural country, but we should still include traditional features.
The final decision was style and colour. I thought we should do the mountains in the style of the Group of Seven member Lawren Harris, whom is known for his smooth lines, long brush strokes, and beautiful blue-gray mountain pieces. The class also agreed that the mountains should be blue and gray so they was be a subdued background piece, which would accent the bright greens, reds, and oranges that would be used in the sunrise.
I quite enjoyed how the preliminary process took place, and I believe all members of our class were satisfied with the final design.
Picture of my four possible designs
One of my favourite Lawren Harris paintings.



No comments:

Post a Comment