My Visitors

Thursday 25 September 2014

Analysis & Interpretation Traditional Art



For traditional art I chose my favourite group of seven artist Lawrence Harris. His art is traditional to Canadian history. Harris's lines are clean, with few details. His colours normally range from darker blues, and green because most pieces focus on Canadian landscapes. Most pieces of Harris's are simplified however, Harris not only took an interest in landscapes but also expanded to abstract paintings. Although, his inspiration shifted his techniques remained in each painting. Few paintings include vibrant colours as Harris clearly favoured more subdued neutral shades for his abstract pieces. Even though, the abstract portion of his career was prominent it was the landscape pieces which helped him develop the style he is best known for. His pieces early in his career were seen as rich, and applied with think paint however, later in his career Harris became more simplified. In my own personal opinion I enjoy his landscape pieces rather than the abstract. I also enjoy pieces that include rich blue shades for the winter season, and fall leaf colours because it reminds me of Northern Ontario. Overall, the pieces above are some of my favourite art works of his.

No comments:

Post a Comment