My Visitors

Thursday 11 September 2014

Research Project: Initial Thoughts

My newest task in Grade 11 art is to compare traditional art to contemporary. I wanted to do a post prior to research to put my initial thoughts about the two.

In my mind I relate traditional art to paintings. Right away I think of portraits, battle scenes, etc. When thinking about traditional art I also picture statues such as the ones in Rome. Of course famous paintings come to mind such as Starry Night and The Mona Lisa, as well as legendary artists such as Van Gough and Leonardo Da Vinci. I think about the paintings on ceilings of churches, and traditional art museums and what they might hold. In my mind there are very few sculptures. When thinking of the traditional art paintings I believe many of the past were created to document an event or to tell a story. I think these thoughts share significant similarities and differences with contemporary art.

When thinking about contemporary art I picture abstract paintings, and  large upscale sculptures.It seems to me that like traditional art contemporary also shares a story. However, from initial thoughts it seems more art pieces in modern times were produced to make a statement rather then document and event.  I also realized I am very unaware of modern artists, and the most recent ones I know of are the members of The Group of Seven. I also am unaware of any new modern art galleries or pieces. I realized that I have more background knowledge and understanding of traditional art. However, the more I thought about it the more strange I realized it was that I a modern youth, who should connect with modern art, has no understanding what so ever. After thinking about it for some time I believe perspective is my issue. I have grown up looking at The Mona Lisa and Starry Night, studying the techniques and their creators. I have taken time to look at the history however. I have not had the same chance to do so with contemporary.

I look forward to begin research and educate myself with contemporary and traditional art.

No comments:

Post a Comment